Whether you use a Mac laptop or computer, accidental typings are a common thing. It may occur when you try cleaning your keyboard. To overcome this issue, you shall better disable the keyboard on MacBook. You could do this to use an external keyboard, prevent others type something in your absence, or don’t want your pets to enjoy the warmth. Locking the keyboard is a way useful even if you want to wipe the dust or spilled drink. Since there are multiple ways and we decided to discuss all of them here in this section.
How to Disable Keyboard on Macbook
Locking the macOS keyboard isn’t a difficult task, and you can do it from within the device or with the help of a third-party tool.
Mac users can use Terminal to take control of the device and its functionalities easily. Here go the steps to lock the MacBook keyboard in no time.
- Open the Terminal on your macOS and enter the below command.
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext/
2. If prompted, enter the password, and the keyboard gets locked.
Tip: To enable it, use the below command.
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBTopCase.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBTCKeyboard.kext
Using Keyboard Shortcut
Disabling the built-in keyboard of the macOS is simple if you know the keyboard shortcut.
Press F1 + Ctrl keys simultaneously, and it will disable the keyboard controls.
Also read How to Find MAC Address on iPad [All Versions]
Using Third-Party Tools
There are different tools available online with which you can disable the internet keyboard of the macOS.
1. Launch a browser on your Mac and go to https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/.
2. Go ahead to click on the Download Karabiner-Elements-xx.x.x.
3. When prompted, select the Downloads folder to save it.
4. Once it gets downloaded, double-click on the installer.
5. Now, drag the icon of the Karabiner into the Applications folder.
6. Select the Continue button and then launch the tool.
7. Choose the Devices tab and type disable on the search bar.
8. Select the check box next to the built-in keyboard, and it will disable it.
Note: Make sure you have an external keyboard so that your macOS can use it once the internal keyboard gets disabled.
Some More Third-Party Tools
Like Karabiner, other third-party tools that help you lock the macOS keyboards are listed below.
- Keyboard Locker
- Keyboard Cleaner
Also read How To Remove Hyperlink in Word on Mac in 3 quick ways.
It is quite essential to lock your macOS keyboard to prevent any mishappenings. You can try out the above methods on all models of Macbook Pro and Air, whichever seems to be simple. Stay tuned to our blog for useful tips and tricks.