It will be pretty hard to work on the keyboard on your Mac. If you feel hard to work on the keyboard on your Mac, you can connect the magic keyboard to your Mac. Magic Keyboard is a wireless keyboard built by Apple Inc to increase the experience of its users. The technological feature that will excite you is the touch ID function. But, the touch ID feature can be used only on the Mac that contains an M1 processor. You don’t have to worry if your Mac doesn’t contain an M1 processor because the Magic Keyboard will work very well even with a non-M1 processor Mac. But you will be going to miss the touch ID function. Also, you can connect a wired keyboard to your Mac. For the detailed procedure on how to connect Keyboard to your Mac, you can refer to the section below.
How to Connect Keyboard to Mac
There are two different keyboards you can connect to your Mac. They are:
- Wireless keyboard
- USB Keyboard
Connect a Wireless Keyboard on Mac
1. At first, you should turn on your Mac.
2. Toggle on the switch in the back left of your Magic keyboard to turn it on.
3. Connect your Keyboard to Mac with the lightning USB cable.
4. Select the Apple logo at the upper left corner of the home screen of your Mac and select System Preferences.
5. In the System Preference section, select Bluetooth.
6. Click on your magic keyboard listed in the Devices section
7. Now, the magic keyboard and your Mac will be paired.
8. Unplug the lightning USB cable to use the wireless Keyboard on your Mac.
Note: The next time you turn on your magic keyboard, it will be automatically connected to your Mac.
Troubleshoot Wireless Keyboard on Mac
1. Toggle on and off the switch on your Magic Keyboard and try to pair it again.
2. Make sure you have turned on the Bluetooth connection on your Mac.
Related: How to Connect Mouse to Mac in Two Simple Ways
Connect a USB Keyboard to your Mac
1. Start by turning on your Mac.
2. Connect the Keyboard to the USB port on your Mac.
3. Keyboard Setup Assistant window will appear on your Mac.
4. Click on the Continue button to identify your Mac.
5. Follow the Prompts displayed on your Mac.
6. Then, select your USB Keyboard and click on Done.
7. Now, you have successfully connected your USB keyboard to your Mac.
Troubleshoot USB Keyboard
1. Plug out the USB keyboard on your Mac and plug it in again.
2. Restart your Mac.
3. Check for any Keyboard drivers that you want to install on your Mac to get started.
How to Setup Modifier Keys on Mac
If you connect to an external keyboard on your Mac, you have an option to set up shortcut keys known as the Modifier keys. Follow the steps below to set up modifier keys.
1. Click on the Apple logo from the upper left corner of your Mac and select System Preference.
2. Under the System Preference, select Keyboard.
3. Click on the Modifier Keys button in the lower right corner.
4. Select your keyboard as Magic Keyboard or USB Keyboard.
5. Now, you can choose any shortcut keys for the below command.
6. Then, click on OK to set up Modifier keys.
Related: How To Connect Airpods To MacBook / Mac in 2 Methods
Now, you should connect an external keyboard to your Mac and work freely on your Mac. Also, you don’t have to push yourself while working on Mac when the external keyboard is connected to it. So, for more valuable tips and tricks, you can follow our blog.