Jailbreaking is a specific process used to remove restrictions imposed on your device. With this, you can make some tweaks to the device. For instance, Apple devices, including the iPad, won’t let you install apps from unknown sources. Sometimes, it may be frustrating that you can’t do things that you want to do with the specific app. However, with a jailbroken device, you can customize and install apps from unknown sources on your iPad. With this, you will get superuser permissions and root access. To make it clear, jailbreaking is legal, but you can’t claim a warranty if you have jailbroken your iPad. But you have an option to restore your iPad anytime you want. If you want to jailbreak an iPad, follow the procedures given in this article.
How to Jailbreak an iPad
There are two ways to Jailbreak your iPad. The below two methods requires a computer to perform the jailbreak.
- Jailbreak iPad using Checkra1n
- Jailbreak using Cydia Impactor
It is highly recommended to use the semi-untethered jailbreaking software. Because you can restore your device anytime you want by rebooting it, or else you have to use iTunes to restore your iPad. In addition to the above methods, you can also jailbreak the iPad without using the computer. All the possible methods to jailbreak the iPad are given below.
1. Backup your iPad
- Go to Settings.
- Tap your name at the top of the Settings
- Navigate to iCloud and toggle on the iCloud Backup.
- Tap on Back Up Now to backup your iPad.
2. Check your iPad model and iOS version
You need to install specific software to jailbreak your iPad. The software you need to install based on your iOS version is given below:
- For the latest iOS 14, you need to install Checkra1n on your Mac. (Semi-untethered)
- You can also install Checkra1n on your iPad OS 12.4.4. (Semi-untethered)
- Install Unc0ver for iOS 13-13.6.1 and iOS 12 – 12.4.1.(Semi-untethered)
- For iOS 11 – 11.4.1 install Electra Jailbreak.
- For iOS 10-10.3.3 install h3lix.
- You can install Phoenix Jailbreak for iOS 9-9.3.6.
- For iOS 8.0 – 8.4.1 install Etason.
3. Turn off Find My Phone, Siri, and disconnect from the internet connection.
How to Jailbreak an iPad using Checkra1n
Checkra1n supports the latest iPad version of iOS 14. You can install the compatible jailbreak software based on your iPad’s iOS version.
1. Open a web browser and visit the official website of Checkra1n.
2. Click Download for macOS displayed under the All Downloads section. If you are using Linux, choose the file accordingly.
3. After the download is complete, select the Downloads icon exhibited at the top.
4. Tap the Checkra1n file to open the application or drag to the folder you want to save on your Mac.
5. Connect the iPad to your Mac using the lightning cable.
6. Open the Downloaded file of Checkra1n and click on the Checkra1 icon.
7. Tap the Start button displayed on the screen.
Related: How to Use AirPlay on iPad
8. Select Next. By doing this, your iPad will enter into recovery mode.
9. Follow the instructions prompted on the screen to enter into Device Firmware Upgrade mode and click Start to install Checkra1n on your iPad.
10. After following the prompts on your iPad, your device will reboot, and you can see both the Apple logo and the Checkra1n logo.
11. Now, you have successfully jailbroken your iPad and installed the Checkra1n app.
12. Once you open the Checkra1 app, you will see the option to install the Cydia app. It is the unofficial app store where you can install jailbreak apps.
How to Jailbreak an iPad with Cydia Impactor
If you try to install apps on your iPad from other than the Apple App Store, you need to create a password for Cydia to bypass the two-factor authentication process. So, follow the below steps to create a password for Cydia:
Visit the official website of Apple in a browser.
- Log in with your Apple ID credentials.
- You need to verify yourself with the Two Factor Authentication Code.
- Click on Edit > Generate Password.
- Enter the name Cydia.
- Enter a password and select Create.
- Now, you have successfully created a password. Note down the password for future use.
After creating a password for Cydia, you can follow the steps below to Jailbreak your iPad using Cydia.
1. Download and install the Cydia Impactor app on your Mac from the official webpage. Also, download the “.ipa” file from the official website of Cydia.
2. Download Checkra1 for Mac and drag it to any folder.
3. Open iTunes on your Mac and connect your iPad to your Mac.
4. Then, open the Cydia Impactor application.
5. Drag and drop the IPA file and click on Start.
6. Enter your iTunes e-mail ID and select OK.
7. Enter the app-specific password you have created and tap OK.
8. Now, open the Settings on your iPad and navigate to General.
9. Under General, select Device Management.
10. Tap on New Jailbreak from the Enterprise App section.
11. Tap Trust to install the Jailbreak app on your iPad.
12. Open the Jailbreak app on your iPad and click Jailbreak to start the process.
13. Once your iPad reboots, you can install the applications on your iPad other than the Apple App Store using the Jailbreak app.
Related: How to Remove Split Screen on iPad
How to Jailbreak an iPad without using Computer
1. Open a browser on your iPad and visit the website https://www.tweakboxapp.com/
2. Navigate to the Apps tab and click Tweakbox Apps.
3. On the search box, type unc0ver jailbreak and select the app from the search results.
4. Download the unc0ver app and turn on Airplane mode before installing the app.
5. Install the unc0ver app and open it.
6. You’ll see a warning message “Untrusted Enterprise Developer” on the screen.
7. Launch the Settings app and navigate to the option General.
8. Click Profile & Devices management and tap ShangHai P&C Information Technology Co., Ltd displayed under the heading Enterprise.
9. Then, click Trust ShangHai P&C Information Technology Co., Ltd and tap the option Trust in the pop-up menu.
10. Now, you can see the app on the iPad home screen. Open it and tap the Jailbreak button to start the process.
How to Restore your iPad
You can restore your iPad anytime if you are using semi-untethered jailbreaking software. You can reboot your iPad to return to default. If you are not using semi-untethered jailbreaking software, you can only restore your iPad using iTunes. So, follow the steps below to restore your iPad:
1. Open iTunes on your Mac.
2. Connect your iPad to Mac using the lighting cable.
3. Use the slider to turn off your iPad and continue holding on to the Power button until you see the iTunes symbol on your iPad.
4. iTunes will automatically detect your iPad’s model and click on Restore to restore your iPad to default.
Advantages of Jailbreaking your iPad
1. You’ll get access to the core programming of the iPad device.
2. You can install your desired third-party app without any restrictions.
3. By jailbreaking the iPad, you can customize the iPad according to your wish.
Disadvantages of Jailbreaking your iPad
If you Jailbreak your iPad, there are certain disadvantages that you might face.
1. You cannot claim your warranty with a jailbroken device.
2. There are possibilities that your device may crash.
3. You can lose access to certain features on the iPad.
4. Jailbreaking your iPad makes the device more vulnerable to hacks.
5. Apple devices are renowned for their security. So, Jailbreaking your iPad can cause certain security issues.
So, think twice before you act and keep in mind these disadvantages. Still, So, if you want to Jailbreak your iPad, you can follow the procedure in this article.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can jailbreak iPad Mini using the Checkra1n or Cydia Impactor. You can also use these methods to jailbreak all models of iPad including iPad 2 and iPad Pro
Yes. Jailbreaking won’t cause any legal problems and most of the countries have made it legal and exempted it from copyright law. For instance, jailbreaking is legal in the United States of America. But in some countries, the status may vary.
Yes. You can use the unc0ver tool to jailbreak the iPad without using the computer. To know more, refer to the blogs.