If your Apple TV is not working properly or you are facing any glitches while watching any content, then you can use the factory reset or reset option. While doing a factory reset, it is to note that the process will permanently delete all your files or data stored on your device, and you can’t retrieve them back. Depending on the generation of Apple TV, the steps of resetting may slightly vary. If you lost your remote or the Apple TV remote is not working, then you can use the Remote app and factory reset the Apple TV. Apart from this, you shall get to know the other possible ways to factory reset Apple TV from this section.
Why Reset Apple TV to Factory Settings
For the below reasons, you shall reset your Apple TV.
- If you are selling your TV and don’t want others to track your data.
- If there is a bandwidth limitation, an Apple TV update will not take place, and thus a reset is recommended.
- When restarting, the device fails to fix up the issue.
- Jailbreaking Apple TV was a failure.
- The TV isn’t responding to any action performed by the remote.
How to Reset Apple TV with Remote
If you want to reset your Apple TV with a remote, then you can follow the below steps.
1. On your Apple TV Remote, go to the Settings option.
2. Now, choose the General option and tap on it.
- If you are using Apple TV HD and 4K generation, then pick the System option instead of General.
3. Scroll down and search for the Reset option and click on it.
4. Finally, confirm the Reset option.
- Before doing confirm reset, Apple TV will ask you many times that you really want to reset, because it will remove/delete all the data and information. Once deleted, you can’t get it back. So think twice or thrice, then click on the Confirm Reset button.
5. While the resetting process is going on, don’t try to unplug the Apple TV. When the process of reset has started, your Apple TV screen will display as empty.
6. Once the resetting process is over, you are ready to set up your Apple TV.
Note: Sometimes, this above process work in Apple TV 4K and HD. If you get involved with any such issues, you should contact Apple TV Support.
How to Reset your Apple TV Via Computer
1. Unplug your cable from the power socket and the HDMI cable from your Apple TV.
2. Next, connect Apple TV to your Computer or Mac, you need to use the USB-C cable. If you are using a 2 & 3-generation Apple TV, then use the Micro-USB cable instead.
- If you are using Apple TV HD or 3rd generation, you need to plug in the power cord. For second-generation Apple TVs, it is not necessary to plug in.
3. If your Personal Computer has iTunes or Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, then launch iTunes on your PC.
4. Now, you will see a list of media sources on your Apple TV. In that, choose your Apple TV.
5. Scroll down until you see the Restore option and tap on it.
6. If your Mac has OS Catalina or later, then quickly launch the Finder app.
7. Choose your Apple TV in the sidebar and navigate to the Restore option.
8. Once the resetting process is over on your Apple TV, then plug in into your TV.
How to Reset Apple TV without Remote
If your Apple TV remote is not working or if there are any other issues you are facing with Apple TV remote, you can factory reset the Apple TV without relying on the remote.
Reset Apple TV using Remote App on iOS device
1. First, ensure that your iPhone/iPad and Apple TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
2. Download and install the Apple TV Remote app from the Apple App Store.
3. Within a few minutes, the app gets downloaded, and the installation process will begin.
4. Once installed, tap the Open button to launch the Apple TV Remote app.
5. Now, choose Add Apple TV option and pick your Apple TV.
6. After choosing your Apple TV, input your four-digit code on your device.
7. Then, navigate to the Apple TV Settings and choose the System option.
- If you have a 3rd generation Apple TV or earlier, choose the General option instead of the System option.
8. Finally, choose the Reset option.
Reset Apple TV with iTunes App on PC
1. Before starting the reset, unplug all your cables from the power or HDMI cord on TV.
2. Then, launch the iTunes app on your PC or Mac.
3. Now it’s time to connect your Apple TV to your PC with a USB cable. As mentioned, you can choose your cables according to your Apple TV versions.
4. On your iTunes app, choose your Apple TV.
5. Next, navigate to the Summary option and choose Restore Apple TV.
6. Finally, you can restart your Apple TV without using the remote.
Reset Apple TV with Third-Party Software
TunesKit iOS System Recovery provides two modes for recovery, one is the standard mode, and the other one is the advanced mode. It will fix all the issues you are facing in Apple TV HD, 3rd generation, 2nd generation, and also other models without any loss of data. Not only for resetting Apple TV, but you can also use this method to fix tvOS problems.
1. Verify that you have connected your Apple TV to your PC.
2. Download the TunesKit iOS System Recovery program on your PC from its official website.
3. Once installed, launch the Tuneskit program.
4. If you identified your Tuneskit on Apple TV, then you can choose the Start option.
5. Now, to reset your tvOS to factory setting, choose the Advanced Setting option. If you choose this option, it will erase all of your data.
- You can choose Standard Mode if you don’t want to lose any data, and it will also solve tvOS problems that occur.
6. Choose the Next button to proceed. Then, confirm and click the Download button.
7. After downloading, choose the Repair option. Then TunesKit will reset your tvOS without a remote.
That was all about getting the factory default settings on your Apple TV. The process will take some time, and you have to wait for it. Unfortunately, if Apple TV doesn’t respond, you shall immediately contact Apple Support.
If your Apple TV is not working, then you can restart your Apple TV, unplug your cable from power and again plug in or you can use a different HDMI cable, or you can restore your Apple TV.
The time may vary according to your Apple TV. Usually, it takes more than 30-40 minutes to reset. If your Apple TV takes too much time to reset, then you can use a micro USB cable and connect it to your PC.
You can hard reset tvOS from Settings > System > Reset > Reset.
You can follow the steps given in the above section to get the factory default settings of your Apple TV 4K.
To restart Apple TV, you need to hold the back and TV/Control Centre buttons on the remote control.
When your Apple TV isn’t responding, you shall reset it using the remote or without a remote.