Apple TV remote doesn’t have a physical power button or off switch to turn off. So you might have a confusion that how it is possible to turn off the Apple TV. If so, it isn’t a complex procedure, and you can easily turn off the device. Instead of turning off your TV, you can set it in sleep mode and set a timer. However, sleep mode doesn’t turn off your Apple TV completely. i.e., you can get back access to your TV screen instantly. Just like connecting Apple TV to WiFi, you can turn off your Apple TV with and without a remote, and the steps may vary slightly based on the Apple TV version or models you own.
How to Turn Off Apple TV With Remote
You can follow the steps below if you want to turn off your Apple TV with a remote.
1. First, on your TV remote, press and hold the Home Button for 5 Seconds.
2. Choose the Sleep option from the Control Center on the right side of the screen.
- If you are using the third generation or earlier, you just navigate to the main menu and long press the Play/Pause button for more than 3 seconds to turn off Apple TV.
Note: If the Control Center option is not visible on the right side of your screen, then click the Home button. Now wait for a second and press and hold the Home button for more than 3 seconds. You can follow these steps if you are using the Remote app for Apple TV.
How to Put Apple TV to Sleep using Remote
Besides the device settings, you shall even use your remote to put your Apple TV in sleep mode.
- Press and hold the Power button on the Siri remote (2nd gen).
- On the Siri remote (1st gen), press and hold the TV/Control Center for three seconds and select Sleep.
- Press and hold the Play/Pause button on the Aluminium or White remote for five seconds.
How to Turn Off Apple TV 4K and Below Via Settings
You can also choose the Settings option to power off your Apple TV, which is one of the simplest and easiest ways.
1. First, navigate to your TV Home screen.
2. Then choose the Settings option from the main menu.
3. Scroll down until you see the Sleep Now option.
4. Now, choose the Sleep Now option to turn off your TV device.
If you are done with using an app, you shall close apps on Apple TV. You can even force close the app when it isn’t working or struck.
How to Set Sleep Timer to Turn Off Apple TV
Apple TV has a built-in sleep timer and enters into sleep mode after that specific time. However, you can choose the duration you want if you want to extend or shorten it. Follow these steps to turn on the Sleep timer.
1. On your TV home screen, choose the Settings option.
2. Scroll down and pick the General option.
3. Now, it’s time to tap the Sleep After option.
4. Then, choose the appropriate time duration.
5. Finally, the options will display that is 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 5 hours, never, etc. You can choose any one-time duration as you wish.
Note: If you choose the Never option, your TV will not sleep until you turn it off manually. For instance, if you pick the 30 minutes, it will exactly sleep after the set time.
How to Turn On Apple TV
If you want to power on your Apple TV, then long press the Home or Menu buttons on your TV remote. This method will work in all versions of Apple TV, including 3rd generation, 4K, or earlier.
Whether the Apple TV remote is not working or missing, and you want to turn off or on Apple TV, you can unplug your device, keep it idle for more than 3 seconds, and plug it back into your TV. This will reboot and turn on your device.
No. You can’t turn off the light of the Apple TV manually. It will turn off on its own.
You can unplug the Apple TV from the TV while it is still turned on.
Yes. You can press and hold the Home button icon on the Remote app to turn off your Apple TV.